Friday, January 4, 2008

Remember Tomorrow Today - and Feel Great in 08!

This blog is about returning to good health, for myself and for my twin Greg. There may be a time when we open it up to others too. In fact if you read this and are interested in using this space for that purpose, just drop me a line. But in the meantime it's mostly about us and for us, so if it seems a bit narcissistic you'll understand.

My story: between early October, 2006 and March, 2007, I lost a total of 88 pounds, from 265 to 177. Many people have asked how I did it. The answer I always say is "lots of exercise and disciplined eating." Although it took much work and focus, I actually had a good time doing it, getting up early (4:30 a.m.) to jog or go the gym, with lots of time on the elliptical machine or in the pool. I tried to do more on weekends. As far as eating, I just reduced portions and cut out a lot of the good stuff, like ice cream, beer/alcohol, desserts, chips, etc. Got pretty serious about it but kept having to remember that what I ate today I would have to work that much harder tomorrow to lose. Some people even called me hard core, but I was motivated by a strong desire to feel good and healthy again, not only for myself but for my wife and family too.

This is a photo of me before I lost weight, taken on a trip to China in April, 2006.

I was like a Buddha on the wall! I was obese by most definitions, but it seemed like I was powerless to do much about it. And there were health concerns, like sleep apnea and high blood pressure. In fact I had to start wearing a CPAP (continual positive air pressure) machine at night to keep breathing continually and stop snoring. It was also hard to find clothes that fit well!

So here is a picture after I lost weight - taken by my brother John just after completing the Mercer Island Half Marathon in March, 2007:


Notice a difference? Think I was around 183 that day. I had a very active summer and fall, continuing to run, going to the gym and ride bike. In early August I joined a team on a 165-mile relay. I realized a new level of fitness I had forgotten possible, but the best thing - and somewhat unexpected - was to inspire several others who saw me doing it and realizing they could do so as well. I also happily quit using my CPAP machine as Dee reported I wasn't snoring or stopping breathing during sleep.

But around September or October, while still exercising, I started to pay less attention to my diet and starting eating (and drinking) the wrong things. Not surprisingly, the weight started creeping back on. Now, this morning, I stood on the scale and was very dismayed to see the number 205 there - not too far away from hitting that obese definition again. The pants I worked so hard to fit into, and were in fact loose, are now so tight if I gain any more I'll have to go to the next size up! The fancy biking jacket Dee gave me is now so tight I can hardly wear it. My sleep apnea is also back, Dee reports, although not to the point where I am going to start using the machine again yet.

On the left is a photo of me taken New Years Day on a bike ride with a local club.

So now, with the New Year, it's time to arrest the situation! My goal is to lose back those 25 to 30 pounds and then some. Ideally I'll realize this goal by March 9, in time to run the Mercer Island Half Marathon again in good form. The weight goal I would really like to achieve is 165, which would be an even 100 pound loss from where I began and put my BMI well in the "normal" range. I do not want to be that Buddha person again, never! I like being in good health and it's worth the effort to get there. My motto: Remember Tomorrow Today! This means that if I put in the effort today then I will realize the payoff of that effort tomorrow, and so on.

It will be tough, I know. Keeping this journal should help. Doing it with Greg, who wants to lose about the same amount of weight, should help too. We can encourage each other and make it happen.

In future posts I will report things like weight, health and workout activities, crap I ate that I shouldn't have and other stuff that will likely interest no one but perhaps Greg and I and other posters who happen to join. The idea is to use this space to both chronical our health and to encourage each other along the way.

So here's to losing weight and feeling great in 08!


Brian









No comments: